|Fisheries regulator decides to allow unused quota to be carried forward|
|Thursday, February 14, 2013|
Pingree had pushed feds to issue ruling on "carryover"
Congresswoman Chellie Pingree announced a decision today by federal fisheries regulators to let fishermen to carry over a portion of their unused quota from one year to the next.
"I'm glad that regulators came to this decision promptly. It's a compromise that will mean fishermen won't be forced into taking trips in bad weather at the end of the season just to make sure they use up their entire quota," Pingree said. "And I'm glad regulators responded to our request to issue their decision quickly so fishermen can plan ahead."
Pingree sent a letter last week, signed by 11 other members of Congress from New England, asking regulators to make a quick decision on what is referred to as "carryover." The practice is important because it gives fishermen flexibility to not go out when the weather is bad near the end of the season without fear of leaving some of their quota behind.
In a statement today, John Bullard, the top fisheries regulator in the Northeast, said fishermen will be allowed to carry over 10% of their unused quota from 2013 to next year for most species except Gulf of Maine cod, which will be limited to a 2% carryover.
Federal officials have not yet responded to other requests in the letter, including a request to pay for on-board quota monitoring expenses.