Congressional App Challenge
Thank you for your interest in the 2016 Congressional App Challenge! I'm very pleased to help host this great opportunity for Maine students to learn more about coding and emerging technologies, and I can't wait to see the results. The competition starts Monday, July 18, 2016, and the deadline for submissions is Wednesday, November 2, 2016.
Winners will get to meet me to demonstrate their app, have a press release written about their submission, and have their app recognized at a national event in Washington.
Look below for rules and information on the competition as well as resources to learn about coding--and good luck!
--Congresswoman Chellie Pingree
Details on competition rules and procedures | Resources on coding | Sign up here
Each app will be evaluated by a panel of judges convened by the Maine Technology Institute on three categories:
- Quality of the Idea (creativity and originality)
- Implementation of the Idea (User experience and design)
- Demonstrated coding skills
All entries must be an original in concept, design, and execution. Students will also be required to submit a video.
The Congressional App Challenge is open to all high school students in Maine. Students participating must submit their app source code between July 18, 2016, and November 2, 2016. Students can enter individually or on teams of up to four students. At least two of the team members must reside or attend high school in the district in which they are competing.
To enter, students must sign up here.
Check out my District's winning app from 2015-2016, an organizing tool developed by two students at the Baxter School for Science and Technology.
Examples of winning apps from around the country in 2014:
- Runbow (Demo on Smart Phone): https://vimeo.com/93449639
- Stealth Square (Computer Simulation): https://vimeo.com/96943269
- Cultured (Demo on iPhone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHc2Ckg12f8
- Trext (Demo on iPhone): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcdxAAMJLlM&feature=youtu.be
- Turtle TV (Demo on Computer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdwIj-JJNTE
If you have any questions or concerns, please call my Portland Office at (207) 774-5019 or email my staff competition coordinator.