Skip to Content

Disaster Resources

Below is list of local and federal resources for Mainers who have been impacted by the damaging storms that hit Maine on December 18, 2023 and January 10, 2024. If you live in an area with heavy flooding, we ask that you stay off the roads if at all possible.

If you need emergency assistance, dial 9-1-1.

2-1-1 can assist you in finding non-emergency resources, including financial and healthcare services, prescription assistance, medical transportation, and elderly assistance, as well as basic needs and crisis support.  



It’s imperative that individuals with damaged property document it by taking photos and compiling a list of damages and losses. This information will provide local emergency management agencies with the information they need to respond, and to request state and federal support resources.  

To report damage, The Maine Emergency Management Agency has provided online surveys to fill out: 

By reporting this damage you are NOT applying for assistance. This information is to assess damages and will be provided to your town to enable them to learn who has storm-related damages.Information provided will help the State of Maine estimate the full impact of the storm and unlock the maximum amount of potential Federal support available.


Click here for the Maine Department of Economic & Community Development's (DECD) resources guide for working waterfront businesses. 


First and foremost, contact your County Emergency Management Agency (EMA). County EMAs are the critical link between cities and towns and the State. They provide support for response, recovery and mitigation to local, business and volunteer partners.

  • Maine Homeland Security

  •  Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA): All MEMA staff can be reached at 1-800-452-8735 (in-state only), 207-624-4400
      • Disaster Distress Helpline (trained crisis counselor) 1-800-985-5990

      • Tips and links for “When The Power Goes Out”, “When Things Get Wet”, “When Your Home is Damaged”, etc.

  • Flood Cleanup
    • During flooding, basement fuel oil tanks can float and release oil. If your home is affected by flooding, the Maine DEP will inspect your oil system and advise on cleaning up any skills -- free of charge. 
      • If you have an oil spill requiring cleanup, Maine DEP can often provide cleanup services at little or no cost to you. This service is available after any weather event. Request it by calling Maine DEP at (800) 482-0777. The line is staffed 24/7.
    • The Maine Ground and Surface Waters Clean-up and Response Fund (Fund) is established to assist with certain costs and claims incurred as the result of an oil spill. To learn more, download this brochure from Maine DEP.
  • Insurance Resources: The Maine Bureau of Insurance has several resources to help Maine people navigate insurance questions during flooding and natural disasters.
  •  Maine Center for Disease Control

  •  Maine's Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster

  •  Department of Public Safety

  •  Emergency Medical Services

  •  Traffic/road informationIn partnership with the other northern New England states, New England 511 provides real-time road and weather conditions, links to live cameras, construction alerts, traffic warnings, and more. 

  • American Red Cross of Northern New England: Those needing storm-related assistance, call 1-800-RED CROSS. For additional help or to report damage, dial 2-1-1.
    • An emergency shelter is open at the Conference Center at the Ramada Inn (490 Pleasant St., Lewiston) to provide safe shelter for area residents who have been evacuated due to flooding. This is a Red Cross managed shelter operating in coordination with city of Lewiston. The Red Cross is also working closely with Androscoggin County Emergency Management Agency and Maine Emergency Management Agency. The city of Lewiston has closed its evacuation center at Robert V. Connors Elementary School – and those affected by area flooding are encouraged to seek refuge at the Red Cross shelter. Officials are expecting the Androscoggin River to crest overnight. Prioritize safety. Individuals evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of their family, including:
      • Prescription and emergency medications
      • Foods that meet special dietary requirements
      • Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
      • Chargers for any electronic devices
      • Books, games and other forms of entertainment
    • The Red Cross is partnering with the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society to welcome pets at the shelter. Pet owners should bring crates, carriers, food, medication, collars, leashes, toys for their pets.

  • Food Assistance Programs
    • SNAP Replacement Benefits: You can report a loss of food purchased with SNAP benefits if the loss was the result of a fire, flood, power outage, appliance failure, or other household misfortune. The report must be made within 10 days of the loss.
      • Report a SNAP loss by submitting this form using any of the following methods:
        • Email:
        • Mail: OFI Farmington District Office, 114 Corn Shop Ln., Farmington, ME 04938
        • Drop off at a Regional OFI office, addresses and contact information for these offices can be found here.
      • You can also report the loss by calling (855) 797-4357. If you call, you will still need to submit this form

  • Unemployment: If you are out of work due to the effects of the storm, even temporarily, the Department of Labor encourages you to apply for unemployment insurance.

  • Updates on Power Outages: Central Maine Power, Versant Power, and Eastern Maine Electric are currently addressing power outages across the state. Monitor outage information for each of Maine’s electricity suppliers:


  • Disaster Resources for Farmers: 
    • The Farm Service Agency (FSA) should serve as the primary point of contact for all farmers and ranchers who may be impacted by the disaster.
      • Click here for a fact sheet with basic information on many of the Farm Service Agency programs producers should consider, depending on the specifics of their circumstances.
      • Producers are encouraged to look through USDA’S Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool | which can help producers identify the type of assistance they are looking for.
    • The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) can provide disaster assistance to farmers, ranchers, and communities through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Technical Assistance, and the Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program.

    • Rural Development: While the primary contact for rural communities impacted by a disaster should be FEMA, Rural Development can provide support to homeowners, businesses and communities to aid in recover and rebuilding. RD can be helpful in providing a long-term response to disasters—through repair to homes, essential community facilities and rural water systems. 

Grant Opportunities 

For communities interested in funding resilience projects, there are now three open grant opportunities available to expand local and regional planning capacity, protect infrastructure, improve energy efficiency, and transition to clean energy. These grants will be awarded to Maine cities, towns, and Tribal governments through the state’s  Community Resilience Partnership, which helps communities plan for climate change, reduce carbon emissions, and increase resilience. There are 174 Maine towns, cities and tribal governments engaged in the Partnership. Click here to see Partner communities and where grants are already at work across Maine. New communities are welcome to enroll at any time.

The Partnership has three grant opportunities now available:

Community Action Grants (up to $50,000) : These grants will enable eligible communities to implement projects that reduce energy use and costs, transition to clean energy, and make communities in Maine more resilient to climate change. This round of Community Action Grants is open to enrolled communities that have not yet received a Community Action Grant award. The next round of Community Action Grants in the fall of 2024 will open to all enrolled communities. Applications are due on March 29, 2024. An informational webinar will be held on January 4, 11:00 am. Registration is here.

*NEW* Energy Efficiency Priorities Grants (up to $100,000):  This is a special, one-time grant offering through the Community Resilience Partnership to distribute federal funds to disadvantaged communities for projects that improve energy efficiency and implement clean energy systems. GOPIF anticipates making 10 awards of approximately $100,000 each to eligible communities through a competitive Request for Applications (RFA) process. To be eligible, communities must be enrolled in the Partnership AND be designated as "disadvantaged" by the federal EPA CEJST tool. See RFA for full eligibility requirements. Applications are due on February 16, 2024. An informational webinar will be held on January 4, 1:30 pm (pre-registration not available). Join here.

Service Provider Grants: These are grants to service provider organizations to assist communities to prepare for and enroll in the Community Resilience Partnership and then apply for grant funds to undertake priority projects. Applications are due on February 2, 2024. An informational webinar will be held on January 4, 10:00 am. Registration is here.

In addition, MaineDOT has open grant opportunities to help communities become more resilient to climate impacts like extreme storms and flooding:
MaineDOT Infrastructure Adaptation Fund
MaineDOT Municipal Stream Crossing Program
Back to top