Skip to Content

Taxpayer Assistance and Resources

If you are having trouble with the IRS, please call my office at (207) 774-5019. The following are some resources I hope you find helpful in preparing your taxes and getting help when you need it.

chellie sig

Fresh Start Initiative | Tax Preparation Help | IRS Issues| Face-to-Face Help | Contacting the IRS | FAQ

Fresh Start Initiative

The Internal Revenue Service has expanded its "Fresh Start" initiative to help struggling taxpayers who owe taxes. If you are unemployed or a self-employed individual who has lost business because of the economic downturn, you may qualify for a six-month extension with no failure-to-pay penalties. To find out more and how you can apply, go here.

Getting help with tax preparation

Preparing your taxes can be a confusing prospect but no one should think they have to tackle it by themselves. There are a number of completely free services that can connect Maine taxpayers with qualified tax preparers who can help them get their taxes filled out and get the biggest refund possible.

Through Free File, all taxpayers who made $62,000 or less can visit to prepare and e-file their federal tax returns at no cost.

To order paper tax forms, call the IRS help line at 800-829-3676.

To get help preparing your taxes for free, call 2-1-1.
There are two services to help Mainers get help filing their taxes. Both are completely free, have many locations throughout the state, and are staffed by IRS certified tax preparers. To find a location near you, just call 2-1-1.

  • The CA$H Maine program is a project of VITA, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, and is available to any Mainer making under $50,000 per year.
  • The AARP “Tax Aide” program also helps thousands of low to moderate income taxpayers of all ages fill out their taxes.

Problems with the IRS

If you are having trouble with the IRS, our office or may be able to help. Please call us at (207) 774-5019.

You can also contact the Taxpayer Advocate, and independent advocate within the IRS, who works with taxpayers to help them solve their IRS problems. You can reach the Taxpayer Advocate at 207-480-6094 in Augusta or 1-877-777-4778 elsewhere, or see Publication 1546, The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS.

Pine Tree Legal Assistance also offers legal assistance to taxpayers. You can find contact for their offices around the state here.

Face-to-face Tax Help

IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are your source for personal tax help when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone, and you want face-to-face assistance.

If you need to resolve a tax problem, have questions about how the tax law applies to your individual tax return, or you're more comfortable talking with someone face-to-face, visit your local Taxpayer Assistance Center where you can spread out your records and talk with an IRS representative across the counter. No appointment is necessary - just walk in. If you prefer, you may call a local number (see chart, below) to learn about available and alternate services, and to reschedule appointments with IRS personnel. If you have an ongoing, complex tax account problem or a special need, such as a disability, an appointment may be requested. All other issues will be handled without an appointment.

Note: Before visiting your local office click on “Services Provided” in the chart below to see what services are available. Services may vary from site to site.

* Note: The phone numbers in the chart above are not toll-free for all locations. When you call, you will reach a recorded business message with information about office hours, locations and services provided in that office. You may leave a message to request an appointment for help resolving a tax issue or to reschedule an existing appointment. You will receive a return call within two business days. If face-to-face assistance is not a priority for you, you may also get help with IRS letters or resolve tax account issues by phone, toll free at 1-800-829-1040 (individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (businesses).

City Street Address Days/Hours of Service Telephone*
Augusta 68 Sewall St.
Augusta, ME 04330
Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Services Provided

Office Information

Make Appointment

Bangor 324 Harlow St.
Bangor, ME 04401

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
(Closed for Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.)
Closed on Fridays
Services Provided

Office Information

Make Appointment

Presque Isle

Virtual Assistance By

Tuesday & Thursday - 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Virtual Services Provided

Make Appointment

South Portland 220 Maine Mall Rd.
So. Portland, ME 04106
Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Services Provided

Office Information

Make Appointment

The Taxpayer Advocate Service: Call 207-480-6094 in Augusta or 1-877-777-4778 elsewhere, or see Publication 1546 (PDF), The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS.

How to contact the IRS

For Individuals: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040. Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time).

For Businesses: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-4933. Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time).

For Exempt Organizations, Retirement Plan Administrators, and Government Entities: 1-877-829-5500. Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Central Time

For people with hearing impairments: Toll-Free 1-800-829-4059 (TDD). Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (your local time). For further information, see Tax Topic 102.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where’s my tax refund?

Please wait 4 weeks after filing, then call 1-800-829-4477 or look your refund up online.
Is the Required Minimum Distributions (RMD) waived this year?
Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) generally are minimum amounts that a retirement plan account owner must withdraw annually starting with the year that he or she reaches 70 ½ years of age or, if later, the year in which he or she retires. In 2009, Congress waived the RMD in response to the recession and the sudden loss of value in so many senior's IRA potfolios. That waiver was not extended for 2010. More information on RMDs is availalbe at the IRS's Frequently Asked Questions page.
What is the Earned Income Tax Credit and how do I take advantage of it?
The Earned Income Tax Credit or the EITC is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. Congress originally approved the tax credit legislation in 1975 in part to offset the burden of social security taxes and to provide an incentive to work. When the EITC exceeds the amount of taxes owed, it results in a tax refund to those who claim and qualify for the credit.
To qualify, taxpayers must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if they did not earn enough money to have a filing requirement. You must have earned income from employment, self-employment or another source and meet certain rules. In addition, you must either meet the additional rules for Workers without a Qualifying Child or have a child that meets all the Qualifying Child Rules for you. Find out more about the basic qualification rules for EITC. More information on the EITC is available on the IRS's EITC Frequently Asked Questions page.
Does my non-profit organization need to file a tax return?
Tax-exempt organizations are required to file annual information returns with the IRS. Filing annual returns is crucial because, beginning in 2010, most tax-exempt organizations that haven’t filed their information returns for three consecutive years will automatically lose their tax-exempt status. Some organizations, such as churches, are not required to file annual information returns. Further explanation of these requirements and the filing thresholds is available
How do I apply for tax-exempt status for my non-profit organizaiton?
To be recognized as exempt from federal income taxation, most organizations are required to apply for recognition of exemption. More information is available on the IRS's Frequently asked questions page.
Back to top